Sunday 6 August 2017

BOYL wrap up, in many stages.


Hi all, just returned home from the UK. I took a shit tonne of photo's so I've decided to break them down into a few posts. Prepare yourself for the laziest series of blog posts ever.....photo dump time :)

My first port of call was Warhammer World in Nottingham. I was greeted with this "real" Rhino, but as you can see in the second pic, the welding leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't drive this thing into battle in any bloody millennium!




Stick with miniatures guys,
tank production ain't your thing.


I then made a B-line for the museum. Here's what I saw:






















Next up was John Blanches' iconic diorama. I took quite a few pics of this, mainly trying to concentrate on areas that you don't get to see. Looking for modelling cheats, corners cut and hidden minis.

























This guys was sporting a lance.

The paint was pealing off of this guys horn.....the one on his helmet :P



































Wrong mini version :(



















Even their old copy of RT was falling apart ;)




















No were as good as the illustration I'm afraid.




Ok, so overall I think the museum is worth a visit. But be warned though, most of the stuff is fairly new. What you see here, taken with my crappy phone camera, comprises the entirety of the "Old" stuff. The lighting is pretty woeful for photography too, I overheard another guy wandering around the exhibits commenting on the quality of "real estate lighting". There are a lot of reflections and different light sources that conspire to ruin your photos. You may have observed that most of my shots were taken from above, that was to try to avoid the reflections. But it's not too dear, and there is enough to take you zooming back to your youth....whichever time period in GW history that may be. So weighing up the pros & cons, I'd still go again knowing what I know now.

First day complete. Next up Shadow Wars at Warhammer World :)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great photos of the golden age of Warhammer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. Glad my photo bonanza was to your liking :)

      Delete
  2. I remember info about production of that "Real" RHINO back in old White Dwarf (around decade ago?)
    But yep, that weld job is real offence to the Machine Spirit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe :) They would not be pleased at all ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice one mate - totally agree that it's mostly new stuff, but even that is pretty cool to look at, if only to marvel at the time and artistry! It's always worth popping in to WW, and the older minis & dioramas are the stars of the show for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get over how large some of the displays were as well! Trying to make them fit in the confines of the museum would have been a fun task.

      Next post might be a tad lighter on pics. I think I may have overloaded Blogger :)

      Cheers mate.

      Delete
  4. Those old dioramas really get me every time, I remember spending ages looking over the Mike McVey offerings in WD in particular, trying to figure out how to replicate the conversions or painting.
    What really saddens me is the amount of dust they've been allowed to accumulate over the years- well, I say years, but I've noticed an unhealthy amount of dust in photos on other blogs even on the current gaming tables at WHW. Please, GW, hire a cleaning crew or at least cover the tables when they're not in use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did exactly the same thing when I was a young'n. The John Blanche one is incredible, but a little dusty. I think they never had these things covered back in the day, so they've accumulated a fair amount of dust over the years. Not sure how they would go about removing the dust from them without risking damage to them though.

      The lighting is the worst aspect though, reflections everywhere!

      Cheers Badaab :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the pics, they're so cool for all of us who haven't get the chance to trip there (yet)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about doing a massive photo dump, thinking that people would get bored with the amount. I'm considering culling the next post down.

      It'd would be great if you could make it there Suber, I'd love to meet you there :)

      Cheers mate.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I went there a couple of years ago when I was writing for BL, and the museum seemed much smaller then. I probably forgot to go into part of it. I remember a very smelly guy being in there, which curtailed the fun a bit.

    The dioramas are very cool. The Blanche one has really got that Breugel feel with all the advancing undead. I always assumed you were a Brit for some reason, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby,

      Yeah, I really liked it. I didn't have to suffer with a smelly git in there, but I did have an annoying family in there that kept going catatonic over every & all of the dioramas :)

      I'm sorry to have disappointed you about my heritage, but I'm a pure breed convict :D

      Cheers.

      Delete
  7. Great photos (despite the conditions), seeing those figures bought back quite a few memories, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Matt.

      I always wished that the people who had visited it in the past, and taken photos, had published all they had seen, but they never did.....that's why I did it :)

      I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

      Delete